1. The teacher — attendance when I arrived.
a) was taken b) was taking
c) has taken d) were taking
2. Jane is a fashion designer, but currently she — shoes.
a) sold b) is selling
c) was selling d) will sell
3. She prefers a place of her own ; for the time being, however, she — with her aunt.
a) stayed b) has stayed
c) was staying d) is staying
4. No wonder Mary is cross with you. You — to her for quite a long time.
a) hadn’t written b) didn’t write
c) haven’t written d) aren’t writing
5. I became concerned when he — home by midnight.
a) wasn’t coming b) hasn’t come
c) hadn’t come d) doesn’t come
6. I hope you — the elections to be held soon.
a) are winning b) will win
c) have won d) won
7. The moment he — this message, he must call me.
a) received b) will receive
c) receives d) is receiving
8. Alice — in musical shows hundreds of times up till now.
a) has danced b) has been dancing
c) had danced d) danced
9. It’s the first time I — Brazilian food.
a) eat b) have eaten
c) am eating d) ate
10. He — me twice since he went to England.
a) has called b) has been calling
c) has been called d) called
11. When I went to London, I stayed at the same hotel where I — five years earlier.
a) had stayed b) have been staying
c) have stayed d) stayed
12. He — to me several times this year.
a) wrote b) has been writing
c) had written d) has written
13. I — Brazilian food up till now.
a) never ate b) have never eaten
c) had never eaten d) never eat
14. When you — your work, you can go out.
a) finished b) have finished
c) will finish d) had finished
15. Tell him I — anything with him until I’ve spoken with my wife.
a) don’t discuss b) haven’t discussed
c) won’t discuss d) didn’t discuss
16. I’ll start cooking after I — a rest.
a) had b) will have
c) have had d) am having
17. When the war broke out, Mary — in Berlin for 6 years.
a) lived b) had been living
c) has been living d) was living
18. The system — surprisingly well up till now.
a) works b) worked
c) has worked d) is working
19. He — television before he went to bed.
a) has been watching c) watched
b) was watching d) has watched
20. They — for ten days when they ran into a terrible storm
a) sailed b) had been sailing
c) have sailed d) were sailing
21. Eray — hard for the last three days.
a) worked b) has been working
c) is working d) was working
22. He —- three children so far.
a) has b) had had
c) has had d) had
23. Once you — the examination, you’ll be able to relax.
a) have taken b) have been taken
c) took d) will have taken
24 He’s a very good player. He — consistently well recently.
a) is playing b) has been playing
c) was playing d) had played
25. By May, I —- this car for five years.
a) will have b) will have had
c) will be having d) have had
26. When you arrived home, we —- lunch. If you had come a bit earlier, we could have had lunch together.
a) just had b) have just had
c) had just had d) had just
27. Mary —- the dishes at the moment.
a) washes b) was washing
c) is washing d) has washed
28. You are making a lot of noise. I wish you —- quiet for a while.
a) will keep b) would keep
c) keep d) have kept
29. Mr. Brown —- a capable, dedicated doctor, and his patients have missed him ever since his death.
a) is b) has been
c) was d) was being
30. If you —- me earlier, I could have helped you.
a) told b) would have told
c) have told d) had told
31. If only —- enough money, he would have bought that house.
a) he has had b) had he had
c) he didn’t have d) he had had
32. “How long have you been with the company?” “I —- there two years by January.”
a) will work b) will have worked
c) will be working d) have worked
33. Your hair is too long. It’s time —- a haircut.
a) you have b) you should have
c) you had d) for your
34. Since calculators were first introduced, they —- to be useful tools for people weak m mathematics.
a) proved b) have proved
c) will prove d) are proving
35. As soon as he —-, tell him that I want to see him.
a) arrived b) is arriving
c) arrives d) will arrive
36. The commissioner has assured the crowd that the problem —- care of as soon as possible.
a) will take b) has been taken
c) had been taken d) will be taken
37. When he saw the crowd, he regretted that he —- his ticket earlier.
a) can’t have bought c) hadn’t bought
b) hasn’t bought d) wasn’t buying
38. They —- for seven hours when they arrived at the border.
a) are driving c) had been driving
b) have been driving d) drove
39. She complains that she —- headaches.
a) has frequently c) frequently has
b) has had frequently d) have frequent
40. Whenever the safety commission —- its regulations, there are complaints.
a) is enforcing b) enforce
c) will enforce d) enforces
41. Oh dear, I don’t feel very well. I think —- .
a) I’ll faint b) I’m going to faint
c) I’m fainting d) I’ve fainted
42. Unfortunately the train —- by the time I reached the platform.
a) left b) leaves
c) had left d) has left
43. Don’t forget that —- to our new office by the time you get back from holiday.
a) I move b) I’ll have moved
c) I’ll move d) I’ll be moving
44. I’m afraid I didn’t hear the doorbell when you rang. I —- in the garden at the time.
a) worked b) have been working
c) have worked d) was working
45. It was 4 o’clock when the ambulance finally arrived, by then the severely injured man —-.
a) had died b) died
c) has died d) dies